Beginner's Albanian with Online Audio (Paperback)
Albanian is spoken by 5.8 million people worldwide, and is an official language of Albania and Kosovo. Albanian is a unique Indo-European language because it has its own branch, whereas most modern languages are at least twice removed from their original branch. Under the Ottoman Empire, teaching Albanian was forbidden and its existence today speaks to the fierce preservation and pride of the Albanian people.
Modern standard Albanian is a combination of the two main dialects, Tosk and Gheg. Ideal for those new to Albanian, learning at home or in the classroom, Beginner's Albanian with Online Audio includes:
- A brief introduction to Albanian history and culture
- 13 practical lessons with dialogues, vocabulary, and expressions
- Exercises with answer key
- Albanian-English and English-Albanian glossaries
- Online MP3 audio files for download which feature pronunciation by native speakers